Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Alzheimers... it is ok to laugh

I think the main thing that helps me on a day to day basis with my mom is a sence of humor. It is OK to laugh, it is OK to smile. When I take my mom out, It is like being in a theatre production, I never know who I am going to be cast as or what. But when she makes that decision for me, I do the best performance that I can do, I have been on vacations with her that I have never been on , places with her that I have never been. Answered the same question 15 different ways and it is ok. These memeories even though they might be distorted or in the wrong time period, is one of the few ways that my mom has to communicate with the outside world. My mom fights for words some times that used to come easy to her, and I have to finish her sentence. When she loses things, we have created a game called, "Can Amy think like her mother?", it helps her not feel so embaressed, and weather it is the right or wrong thing to do it is what I do with her. I know that there is going to be a day when my mom does not recognize me or remember any of the memories, so as long as I can, I will play any role I need to, to help her feel happy and secure.

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely okay to laugh! Your Mom has a great sense of humor, and I've seen evidence that she can remember fun times. Kudos to you for giving her the benefit of the doubt, not patronizing her, and keeping her secure and happy as she can be. We can only hope that if this affliction ever happens to us, we can forget the unhappy things first and the laughing memories last forever.

    ReplyDelete